Thursday, September 19, 2024

Galápagos Diary, Day 15

Day 15, April 26: Leaving Galápagos

First thing this morning we gathered our bags and headed straight for the airport at Baltra. LOL, just kidding. Sunrise is at 6:00 and our flight to Quito didn’t leave until 10:22, giving us just enough time for one more wet landing. In a small lagoon near Bachas Beach, on Santa Cruz Island, we photographed two flamingoes, a Black-necked Stilt with four chicks, and one last marine iguana.


Juvenile American Flamingo

Black-necked Stilt with chick

How many birds do you see?

Black-necked Stilt chick

American Flamingo

Marine Iguana

On the beach we found the tracks of a sea turtle that had laid her eggs just a couple hours earlier. It felt like the right way to say goodbye to Galápagos before joining the crowds at the airport.


Sea Turtle tracks

Tonight in Quito we will have one last dinner together, though it won’t be the same without Tui and Monica. Early tomorrow morning we will board our flight for Miami and then home.


Baltra Airport

Epilogue

I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing my photos and reading my stories. What started as a simple email to a small group of friends and family while I was traveling somehow evolved into a major project that has taken much longer than I had planned.

And it’s not really done yet. I’m writing this in September, five months after my Galápagos trip, and I’m still editing the photos.

I shot more than 80,000 exposures, most of them in bursts of between five and fifty (at twenty per second). I'm on track to delete about 95 percent, and maybe half of what I keep will be good enough to add to my web site. So when someone asks, “how many pictures did you take?”, the fun answer is 80,000 but the honest answer is 2,000.

In our fifteen days on the Tip Top IV we visited 18 islands, going ashore on 15 of them. We photographed the other three from the boats.

I came home with photos of at least 38 species of birds (in addition to the 23 species I photographed at Mount Antisana before the trip officially started), 12 species of reptiles, two mammals (three if you count the whale skeletons), five invertebrates, and a bunch of fish. Most of them are animals I had never seen before and many I had never heard of.

My traveling companions were interesting and we got along well. The food on the yacht was very good; the cabins were small but adequate. The days were full, the photography was often difficult and at other times absurdly easy, and I went to bed each night completely exhausted.

Would I do it again? Of course I would. In fact, I’ve already booked my next trip for 2026.





Day 1: Photographers meet Galápagos

Day 2: We meet some new species

Day 3: Don't forget to preheat your camera!

Day 4: More snorkeling, more boobies, and our first snakes

Day 5: Eruption!

Day 6: Tortoises! Flamingoes!

Day 7: A trip to the Post Office

Day 8: Aw, poop!

Day 9: Imagining the past

Day 10: I need a break!

Day 11: The big city

Day 12: Iguana lips

Day 13: Lotsa lava

Day 14: Red sand, a mockingbird pedicure, and lizard sex

Day 15: Leaving Galápagos

6 comments:

  1. Dan, I really enjoyed your travelogue! I am sorry you didn’t meet Lonesome George. He was cantankerous! I will show you a picture of him. They sure tried to save his species but he wasn’t cooperative! It is a very strange sad feeling to be seeing the last of a species. MFKP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MaryFrances! I’m glad you got to meet Lonesome George.

      Delete
  2. Dan, this was fabulous! Thank you for sharing and stimulating my interest in Galápagos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Dan: This was such a privilege! I felt kind of emotional as your trip ended because I felt so THERE with you, the entire time! The photographs were magnificent and you captured the life on Galapagos not only with photographs but also with descriptions that had me giggling, inhaling with WOW and sighing with such satisfaction. THANK YOU for sharing your trip and your talent!
    Susan Street

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks so much - that really means a lot to me.

      Delete